Saturday 24 November 2012

Plantar Fasciitis in Rheumatoid Arthritis

Here is the story that my friend Judy told about her bout with Plantar Fasciitis. She generously shared her doctor's solution.  This worked for her - neither of us is a doctor so check with your doctor first. 

It always helps to know the possibilities though so here it is.  Some Doctors say there is nothing that can be done so it is good to know the possibilities.

"I had a very bad spell with plantar fasciitis.  I got out of bed at night and it was like lightening was going through my left foot and leg.  I could not put any weight on my foot at all because it was so painful.  The foot doctor said that I had plantar fasciitis and apparently had small tears at the part where the connective tissue joins the bottom of the heel.  I really stepped on my foot the wrong way.
The treatment is a night splint OR they can give you a very painful steroid shot right in the bottom of the heel.  I choose to try the night splint for 2 weeks.  My foot slowly got better and then it did heal without having to have the steroid shot."











Active Ankle Dorsal Night Splint (DNS)








         FRONT VIEW OF NIGHT SPLINT










             SIDE VIEW OF NIGHT SPLINT

This is the kind that I use. The night splint comes in small, medium and large.  It is interchangeable from left or right foot by moving a piece in the front.  I also wear a night splint for pain in the heel or ankle.  You wouldn't believe how much this helps.  They do say that you can walk a short distance in this splint as it has a rough piece on the bottom of the toe part - BUT - don't try to do that.  The splint is not for walking - only sleeping or resting.

 I wear my splint over a long, cushy sock so that the Velcro doesn't bother my skin."

Indications for using this night splint:
  • Plantar Faciitis
  • Achilles tendonitis/repairs
  • Foot drop/Neurological deficits
  • Stroke patients
  • Heel Spur Syndrome
  • Sore Heal/heal pain
Goals :
  • Decrease pain in A.M.
  • Delay heel spur surgery
  • Decrease anti-inflammatory medications
  • Decrease pain symptoms
  • Improve ambulation
  • Prevent contracture of Achilles Tendon
(from http://www.achillesmed.com/phantom-dorsal-night-splint.html )

There are also exercises that can be done to help plantar fasciitis - see a foot doctor for instructions. You also need lots of rest as spending long hours standing will aggravate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment